Skip to main content

Ravings of a Frustrated Student...

"Mummy, mummy, may I go for Cricket???"

These were the words uttered by Ravi, the only son in an Indian Middle Class Family, a tenth class student.

His Mom replied, "What? Again Cricket!!! You were playing cricket the whole of morning. Even yesterday, you played the whole day. Isn't that enough???"

As if all the elements were against him today, his Dad enters the room at the same time. He looks at Ravi and says, "Look, son! Your 10th class is a most important milestone in your life. If you clear your 10th with flying colors, your life is as good as settled. So just work hard for these exams and after the exams you can enjoy as much as you want!!"

On hearing his father explaining to him in such comforting and soothing words, Ravi feels the importance of his studies and studies hard for his 10th... To his credit, he clears his 10th with such a high score that he can be counted among the best students in his school.


I am sure, most of us have gone through a variation of the above conversation in our lives. And many of us even believed it so much that we put our heart and soul into studying, forgoing all of our other enjoyments.

After all that studying, we come out of our last exam with just one thought in mind

"FREE! FREE!! FREE!!!"

But before we even start thinking of enjoying our freedom, we are asked to join a good Intermediate college with IIT, AIEEE and EAMCET!!!

Let me describe how it was for me....

Apr 27th my 10th exams got completed. My dad took me to Narayana IIT Academy and we went and met the then Principal directly. I was not that frightened about the interview nor much hesitating about joining the academy. But by the end of the interview, I was so low down that I hated myself for coming to the interview.

The reason was not that I had failed the interview, but that because I had noticed a small scrap of paper put up in the Notice Board.

"Classes are scheduled to start from May 6th and attendance from the first day is compulsory."

Now think of the disappointment that flooded me on reading this!!!

Where the hell did the enjoyment period go???

2 years of study again with almost no enjoyment ensued. OK OK! If I say no enjoyment then some of my friends would feel bad. But, guys!!! Please dont forget the "almost" there...

Fast Forward...

Again in 12th, the same old story... Dad will repeat the same lines with the small change that he replaces 10th with 12th...

After the 12th exams, 4 months of enjoyment!!!

Well, thats what we were promised.. But by the time we attended scores of mock counsellings and visiting double the number of colleges, two months just go up in a whiff! And then the EAMCET Counselling... 

Once, we are done with that, we see that we have to roam around the college for one more month to finish all the formalities. Well, thats what we are promised, and again it eats up the remaining of our hols!

In B. Tech., we say, "To hell with all this, I am gonna enjoy without any thought for studies now!"
And what happens? The first year percentage goes down. Again the age old counsellings, threats, taunts, rebukes and humiliation...

We understand that we made a mistake by focusing only on enjoyment and not on studies.

That means we go back to our studies again. With a heavy heart, we go to our books knowing full well, that the promised salvation is just a dream which will never come true..

Once your B. Tech. is completed, you search for a job. No, self respecting company would allow you to enjoy while paying you to work. So, Job and then a Family of your own.

In the end, you get the time to enjoy only in your old age. And at that time, you don't have the capability to enjoy.

But whats life when you do not have any enjoyment as you were promised since childhood???

So, guys! Wake Up! enjoy every moment of your life. Never wait for a special time that would be gifted to you, specially set asif\de for your enjoyment!

ENJOY YOUR LIFE ALL THE TIME!!!!!

Comments

shona said…
easy to say pal! but what about the hopes people have on us??? enjoy!sounds easy but realy has a very high price to pay later!
Ms. shona, a person will have to pay the price if he forgets the education part and only focuses on the enjoyment.. and I did mention that in the B. Tech. 1st year part.... But a focus on education may leave you in a high position but it seldom keeps you happy....
gvk said…
True fact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u r a genius, u r a great philosopher.
Saddie ! said…
very well described...good job !!
satya said…
so true...gud job!!
Raam said…
Everyone in their Life will go through these situations.. Moreover Life without Enjoyment and Studies, i can say there is no meaning. Both are very much Important for a person to say he is well educated.
I appreciate the work u did.. Keep rocking Man...
hari priya said…
its nice..........little intresting
seems you are all a friend circle of fantastic and versatile writers.Glad to associated with ethans and you!
PS:is jaikanth called ethans or evans ugghhh lets call him jaikanth
its true hari vardhan.....we always strive to satisfy our parents by opting according to their wish(if not all most of us).but by the end of the day ,surprising everything is so systematic and boring that we cant realize what we are missing throughout our life..iam not against to parents wish in my words...but suggest to discuss and opt some thing which u really love and enjoy ...bcoz......life with out enjoyment and fun is nothing.try to balance both academics and fun
shiva said…
U r awesome......I felt that was me in the story..........really good one!!!
eshwar said…
good one bro its real truth :)
jeevan said…
nice work hari.It was great feeling when i read your blog.ya in life we need to enjoy each and every moment of our life because they are specially crafted but we need to design it in our own way.
cheers to you friend.
Kalyan said…
Nice post Hari...I could see all my friends fitting well into the words...Enjoyment is the necessity of life...Especially the last lines, There is no time set aside for enjoyement... Enjoy life while compromising some time for the work...Once U stop trying to be THE best in everything U do, U get be good at everything while enjoying ur life!!
sravanthi said…
nice bro:) u explained very well.... really its nice....
preethi said…
nice one...a true situation that happens in almost everyones lyf..

Popular posts from this blog

I Found Her!!!

Late… Again late… Man, this had become a habit with me… If my dad knew that I was reaching the Station exactly about 5 mins before scheduled departure, he would give me a piece of his mind for sure. I checked the platform number and ran into the station huffing like a bull. Finding S8, I jumped onto the stairs and pushed through the people, waving away at their families, searching for my seat. A small wave of relief swept through me when I sat down in the window seat allocated to me. Of all the berths in the train, I always liked and preferred the Side Lower Berth as it gave me a kind of freedom. Noticing that the seat before me was empty, I wondered who could be sitting with me through this journey and how they might be. Train journeys always gave me a new experience as I got to meet new people. Sometimes, I tend to ignore everyone if I don’t like them much. But today, I didn’t have a novel and I had lost my earphones recently. Thus, I had no other way to pass my time except

Women – Divine yet Demeaned!!!

Women have to play many roles. And each of these roles interact with men in different ways. When she is born, she plays the role of a daughter. A cute little babe, who brings light to the household and more often than not, luck to the father. Growing up she becomes the girl who is expected to excel in studies to become an independent woman while at home she is expected to learn making a home and help her mother. Once she has grown into a maiden, she has to deal with so many guys trying to vie for her. And if she falls in love with someone, then comes the dilemma and the tensions about the colony resident’s words, family’s feelings and the confusions of love and infatuation. Once she takes on the mantle of a wife and then a mother. Balancing between both these roles itself is a big management issue and over that if she is a working women, then the complications increase exponentially. (I think women don’t need to be trained in management, they can be given MBA degrees f