Skip to main content

I Found Her - Ep. 6

    As the day of our reporting at the University neared, our relationship just got deeper and deeper. Though we had started off as complete strangers, in a very short span of time we had got to know each other much better than most others. Though love played a really big role in that, the fact that we both think alike did also make it very easy to second guess each other’s thoughts, needs and feelings.
    When we were a week away from catching our plane to the US, Jahnavi and I decided that it was time that we introduce each other to our parents. And with that thought in mind, we told our parents that we had found a person who is going to the same University. Every parent wants to meet each and every person who might be playing a major role in the life of their children. And as expected, even our parents wanted to meet us.
    Thus, the scene came into being, where I was sitting to the side while my parents scrutinized Jahnavi dissecting her character and actions through microscopic lenses. She had dressed in a green sleeveless top and denim jeans with multi colored bangles adorning her hands. She was trying to show her rebellious nature in conjugation with the traditional principles that she stuck to even through her dress.
    She and my dad talked about everything including her family, her hopes, ambitions, hobbies, etc. Her habit of following news regularly hit a chord with my dad that I never could. They soon left me and my mom behind in their talks about the latest cabinet shuffle and other such non sense stuff you only hear in “News”. I got exasperated and simply zoned out. Instead I drowned myself in another novel I had bought a few days before.
    My dad has never understood how to deal with me and my friends and I hated to bring friends home mostly. The few times I did, he had been amicable only to an extent. I hoped that he wouldn’t be too hard on Jahnavi. My younger brother had a much better understanding of the inner workings of my dad’s mind. In fact, we had even taken his help in planning how to present Jahnavi. Any which ways, Jahnavi did have a few advantages of her own including being a really good cook that did impress my dad very well.
    Earlier in the day, she had barged into the kitchen and helped my mom prepare lunch. She had actually cooked the curries by herself. And the way my dad praised the tea she made in the evening made me feel hot with jealousy. It really is hard for me to please my dad though others are able to do it pretty well, I have no idea why.
    Whenever I am reading a novel, I go into a dream-like state where the whole story unfolds as if a movie is being played right in front of my eyes. I love this feeling and every time I close the book, I feel as refreshed as if I had taken a power nap. But this particular nap was pretty short lived. My trance was suddenly disturbed by the message tone of my cell.
    My brother had been listening to their conversation and was trying to ring the warning bells for me when my dad start talking about me in a condemning manner and Jahnavi started defending me a bit too forcefully. I knew that she had already impressed my dad enough already and was just waiting for their conversation to complete so I could take her back home. But the message from my brother (who was sitting right across from me at the computer playing another game) almost scared me into hysterics.
    He told me that my dad was testing how much Jahnavi liked me and how much she knew about me already. He asked me to get things into control before Jahnavi mistook the test to be real accusations and plowed into war with all her guns firing. Putting it in his words, 
“If Jahnavi continues this for even a little longer; dad might smell a rat and ask you to marry her even before you formally propose her. Call for a truce!!!”
    Rushing to avert disaster, I reminded dad that it was already too late and that they were supposed to start for our native place as grandpa was waiting there. I thanked my stars that the trip was unavoidable and that I wouldn’t be meeting my dad for at least the next two days. I would be getting regular updates from my bro regarding what dad said to mom about Jahnavi on the way and so, I could prepare any defenses necessary by the time he came back.
    My dad gave me a glare and then smiled at Jahnavi. Apologizing for not being able to spend more time, he shook her hand and went out the front door. I got a shock when my mom kissed Jahnavi on her forehead before following him to the car. That’s when I came to know that my parents had already understood the real reason behind her visit and approved of her completely. My bro confirmed this by congratulating me and kissing my Jahnavi on her cheek before running to join my already impatient dad in the car.
    Once the car pulled away and turned the corner, I simply collapsed onto the sofa. And this silly girl comes to me blushing while Guddu Singh (that’s our dog!) lies down by my side. It really is a relief when you love dogs and your girl isn’t shrieking afraid of them. I stroked Guddu on his head while Jahnavi my arm around her and nuzzled my neck.
    I couldn’t control myself anymore then and simply kissed her on her lips for the first time. It was the first lip to lip kiss of my life and I tell you I shall never forget the feeling. There was no comparison to that experience (probably because it was my first kiss). Till then yes we had kissed each other on cheeks and foreheads but the way our hearts raced, we knew that now we had connected in every which way possible.
    The kiss was so deep that both felt as heady as one might be after consuming a high amount of alcohol. We just held each other in a tight hug. If anyone had seen us then they would have thought that we were doing nothing but jus holding each other. But we were feeling the warmth and love emanating from each other. As far as I was concerned, I was trying to smell the fragrance of her hair while also feeling her body stick to mine. I guess Lord Brahma had spent a little extra time and effort to create this special beauty. I thanked fate and all the gods who might have conspired to make her mine.
    That night I dropped her off at her home and had a small chat with her mom. Jahnavi’s dad had gone out of station on business and would be back only after 2 more days. So I made plans with Jahnavi to visit my college as I wanted to show her to everyone and say my goodbyes to everyone important to me there.
    The next day, we went to Geethanjali to meet the people who have helped me become what I am. From lecturers to lab assistants and juniors to super duper juniors and even the ayaas and babus there everyone had done something or the other to make me become a Somebody from a Nobody.
    The moment I entered the college with Jahnavi, I met a group of people who had worked with me as volunteers and fellow organizers. Within moments everyone came to know that I had come to college and I got messages and calls asking me to come pull them out of classes. But when they understood that Jahnavi was my lover, a second wildfire started off and people came to meet her rather than me. Every time I come back to college, I come to know of many new things. I am even shocked by how many people follow me and know me.
    Many people including girls and boys came to talk to Jahnavi and congratulate me throughout the day. But the part I loved was when Haripriya and Durga (two of my sisters) pulled us into a class. The class was full of almost every girl who treated me as their brother. They had actually pulled a chair on to the dais so they could interview Jahnavi. You should have seen Jahnavi’s face then. She opened her eyes wide in surprise and her jaw dropped in astonishment at the horde of faces looking at her. But pulling herself together, she walked to the chair and sat down.
    Haripriya took the lead in questioning her with all the others pitching in one by one. When I started laughing uncontrollably, they pushed me out of the room and banged the door on my face. I still couldn’t stop myself and fell down laughing like a maniac. Even the sight of lecturers could not bring my wits back. My brain had foundered completely as it thought of the love my sisters had for me and them pitting it against Jahnavi’s love.
    I did not know what they were doing inside but I knew that by the time they came out they would all be ready to play with me. Well, no worries there, my wits are always about me when the need for counters and satires arises. And as expected, all of them including Jahnavi started taking potshots at me right after they came out. But no one except Jahnavi and Haripriya got the better of me even once in the whole day.
    By 4 PM, we had met everyone and everyone in Geethanjali knew that I had found my girl. I was happy especially because all my sisters approved of her and my closest ones already connected to her at a subtle level. We then met with my cousin Prem and his lover and went on a double date to Paradise Hotel. After having our dinner there, we called it a day and we went back to our respective homes.
    Thanks to the way my dad had brought me up, my habits, behavior and the way I talked has always been liked by the older generation than by my own generation. It has always helped me create very good relationships with lecturers, seniors, aunts, uncles and even the parents of my friends. I used it to my full extent to impress Jahnavi’s dad when I met him the next day. We discussed things like relationships, people, understanding people, love, emotions, justice and all such other things which I could talk about any amount of time without making a mistake.
    By the time I left their house to go to my native place, I was pretty confident that Jahnavi’s father approved of me as much as her mother. And even before I had crossed Chilkur, I get a message from Jahnavi:
                       "Dad loves you. And I love you most, sweetheart! Come back soon.”

Click here for Part 7!! 

Comments

Junior said…
Great!!!!!!!i will live it 4 sure!!!!!!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Ravings of a Frustrated Student...

"Mummy, mummy, may I go for Cricket???" These were the words uttered by Ravi, the only son in an Indian Middle Class Family, a tenth class student. His Mom replied, "What? Again Cricket!!! You were playing cricket the whole of morning. Even yesterday, you played the whole day. Isn't that enough???" As if all the elements were against him today, his Dad enters the room at the same time. He looks at Ravi and says, "Look, son! Your 10th class is a most important milestone in your life. If you clear your 10th with flying colors, your life is as good as settled. So just work hard for these exams and after the exams you can enjoy as much as you want!!" On hearing his father explaining to him in such comforting and soothing words, Ravi feels the importance of his studies and studies hard for his 10th... To his credit, he clears his 10th with such a high score that he can be counted among the best students in his school. I am sure, most of us have gone

I Found Her!!!

Late… Again late… Man, this had become a habit with me… If my dad knew that I was reaching the Station exactly about 5 mins before scheduled departure, he would give me a piece of his mind for sure. I checked the platform number and ran into the station huffing like a bull. Finding S8, I jumped onto the stairs and pushed through the people, waving away at their families, searching for my seat. A small wave of relief swept through me when I sat down in the window seat allocated to me. Of all the berths in the train, I always liked and preferred the Side Lower Berth as it gave me a kind of freedom. Noticing that the seat before me was empty, I wondered who could be sitting with me through this journey and how they might be. Train journeys always gave me a new experience as I got to meet new people. Sometimes, I tend to ignore everyone if I don’t like them much. But today, I didn’t have a novel and I had lost my earphones recently. Thus, I had no other way to pass my time except

Women – Divine yet Demeaned!!!

Women have to play many roles. And each of these roles interact with men in different ways. When she is born, she plays the role of a daughter. A cute little babe, who brings light to the household and more often than not, luck to the father. Growing up she becomes the girl who is expected to excel in studies to become an independent woman while at home she is expected to learn making a home and help her mother. Once she has grown into a maiden, she has to deal with so many guys trying to vie for her. And if she falls in love with someone, then comes the dilemma and the tensions about the colony resident’s words, family’s feelings and the confusions of love and infatuation. Once she takes on the mantle of a wife and then a mother. Balancing between both these roles itself is a big management issue and over that if she is a working women, then the complications increase exponentially. (I think women don’t need to be trained in management, they can be given MBA degrees f