Skip to main content

I Found Her - Ep 7


D-Day has many full forms associated to it including Doom’s Day. But the day of my departure to the US had been dubbed as D-Day by my friends (Departure Day). And true to the phrase, the day was full of raw emotions. Each and every moment of the day was ripe with feelings. I had not seen such a jumble of naked emotions even when a bride is taken away to her new home from the marriage hall and I had been to a fair share of marriages in these twenty one years of my life.

My dad, being MY DAD, had made sure that most everything to be taken was packed by the night before, so I sat down to go through the checklist I had made to ensure I wasn’t forgetting anything. And lo and behold! As always, I was forgetting few of the most important necessities of day to day life. Thus, I got another helping of my dad’s temper as a farewell gift.

By the time I had everything ready, I had got nearly 40 calls and a 100 messages bidding me farewell. And in between all this, Jahnavi also calls me every half an hour asking me what to take and how much am I done with. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 8 in the evening with dinner being served aboard. So, mom didn’t have to take any pains to cook special dishes for me.

After having a simple yet delicious lunch with my favorite Tomato Dal and Paapad, we sat down to check the papers necessary for the airport. My babai and his family had also come home to accompany me to the airport. Some of my closest friends had also turned up to see me off.

We all started towards the Shamshabad Airport as a procession of three cars by 3 PM and reached the rendezvous point to wait for Jahnavi and her family. And 15 minutes later an unofficial convoy of seven cars could be seen zooming through the P V Narsimha Rao Bridge.

On reaching the Airport we were surprised to see more relatives and friends waiting for us there. Many tearful goodbyes and heartfelt blessings later, Jahnavi and I checked in to the counter with our combined luggage mounted over two trolleys like rolling pyramids. After collecting our proper tickets and getting our bags scanned, we roamed around the interior of the airport waiting for the announcement of our flight.
Though we had entered the airport hand-in-hand, it wasn’t long before Jahnavi had wrapped her arms around mine. She was leaning into me and walking sideways while I tried my best to hug her even in that awkward position. All through the time there were three thoughts running through my brain. One was the thought of leaving my folks behind for an extended period of time. Two was the excitement of the new sights and people that I anticipated to meet on the other end of this flight. And last but not the least, how to propose to Jahnavi in a way that wasn’t routine.

We had approximately two hours before takeoff and we did not want to sit any where till then anticipating the 12 hours that we would be sitting in the flight. So we walked round and round the airport checking out each and every shop and sometimes each and every article in the shop.

I felt weird through and through because of the way my mind was playing tricks on me. Whenever I was thinking about the excitement of the flight and the new things I might encounter in San Jose, it felt as if time stood still. And when I was enjoying or fooling around with Jahnavi, time flew away as if it had rocket boosters attached to its wings.

T-60 minutes and I had still had no clue how to propose to her. I started listing out her likes and dislikes. Then I started weeding out the ones which had no regard to the airport. As we had already done 3 trips around the airport, I knew pretty well what all were available over here. Believe it or not, Shamshabad Airport felt like a shopping mall connected to the airport rather than an airport having shopping counters.
And then I struck upon a brilliant idea that I was pretty sure that no one would have tried up till now. But for that idea to succeed, I would need to convince lots of people and do some radical things all within 30 minutes and without Jahnavi’s knowledge. After thinking for some time, I asked her to go freshen up while I do the same in the Men’s Room.

Being a girl, I was pretty sure that she would use the full 30 minutes do “get fresh”. So, the moment she closed the door on me I started running on fast forward mode. Lucky for me, everyone agreed to help without any hesitancy. I was back with everything ready and my face looking fresh and excited just as Jahnavi came out. She gave me one look and shot a question, “What happened?”
I was like, “They announced our flight. Come let’s go fast.”

And I took her through a roundabout way to the boarding gate. The person at the gate winked at me and asked us to stand aside for checking. They took Jahnavi inside a cloth partition while one air hostess came from behind a pillar carrying a cake into the flight. All of them smiled at me encouragingly while a thousand butterflies flew around my stomach. I hadn’t felt tension this high any time in my life, even for the VISA Interview.

That was when I understood why everyone is so terrified about proposals. But then, as with everything I do, I considered myself different from all the others. And accompanied Jahnavi into the cabin confidently. The air hostess welcoming passengers on board felt warmer than normal. So warm that I was afraid, Jahnavi might guess.

My first shock was all the red curtains hung from the window. I hadn’t thought of this but someone in the flight crew must be a better romantic than me. I thanked him or her in my mind and settled down in my seat with Jahnavi beside me. After the routine safety demo, the flight crew helped us buckle up and the flight aligned itself on the runway for the takeoff.

Even from childhood, I am shit scared of mechanical rides because of the sensations caused by the sudden pull of gravity on my stomach. And a plane taking off gives the same feeling. Three times I had travelled by flight up till now and still I had problems dealing with overcoming my fear of this feeling.

But this time, I had Jahnavi with me to hold my hand and give me the necessary strength to feel normal about the takeoff. After takeoff, we sat back and admired the view while inwardly my tension started mounting exponentially. Exactly at 9 PM, the captain addressed us all through the speakers saying that the dinner would be served very soon but before that there was a special program.

Luckily for me, our seats were right in the front row. I unbuckled our seat belts and pulled Jahnavi to the middle of the row so that we were visible to everyone. One air hostess passed me a huge bouquet of roses arranged as a heart and I turned to a Jahnavi whose eyes were so big with surprise while music from the infamous titanic tune played over the speakers.

I knelt down on my right knee and extended the bouquet to her saying,
“Jahnavi, I have never been as happy as this before meeting you. Your presence beside me itself makes me feel secure and confident. Would you like to join me in this journey of life and be my girlfriend? Would you like to tie the nuptial knot with me and be my wife, in time?”

Well, I wish I had something more romantic but in the spur of the moment I just blabbered whatever came to my mind. But I shall remember the expression of her face as she took the bouquet and said, “I would love to!”

The whole cabin erupted in applause and the flight crew brought the cake with “Congratulations!” written on it and also presented us with a big greeting card too. We cut the cake together and stuffed each other happily. I don’t know what came over me then but I said, “Oh! I will get you the ring right after I get a job!”
Everyone burst into laughter as Jahnavi pinched me hard. We settled down then and had our dinner in the midst of murmurs. Many passengers sent us slips saying congratulations while some others offered us their help and support in our endeavors.

Just as everyone was falling asleep, Jahnavi kissed me again and put her head on my shoulder. My heart was in the ninth heaven and I was at peace with the world as the plane zoomed out of India to a land full of new opportunities for a couple of students.



The End


Sequel : She's Mine!!!

Comments

jeevan said…
had a nice feeling reading ur story.. waiting for some more....!!!
Candy said…
Enjoyed your story. It was nice to see how young Indians view relationships,courting and still keep some of their family values. Looking forward to follow their journey

Popular posts from this blog

Ravings of a Frustrated Student...

"Mummy, mummy, may I go for Cricket???" These were the words uttered by Ravi, the only son in an Indian Middle Class Family, a tenth class student. His Mom replied, "What? Again Cricket!!! You were playing cricket the whole of morning. Even yesterday, you played the whole day. Isn't that enough???" As if all the elements were against him today, his Dad enters the room at the same time. He looks at Ravi and says, "Look, son! Your 10th class is a most important milestone in your life. If you clear your 10th with flying colors, your life is as good as settled. So just work hard for these exams and after the exams you can enjoy as much as you want!!" On hearing his father explaining to him in such comforting and soothing words, Ravi feels the importance of his studies and studies hard for his 10th... To his credit, he clears his 10th with such a high score that he can be counted among the best students in his school. I am sure, most of us have gone

I Found Her!!!

Late… Again late… Man, this had become a habit with me… If my dad knew that I was reaching the Station exactly about 5 mins before scheduled departure, he would give me a piece of his mind for sure. I checked the platform number and ran into the station huffing like a bull. Finding S8, I jumped onto the stairs and pushed through the people, waving away at their families, searching for my seat. A small wave of relief swept through me when I sat down in the window seat allocated to me. Of all the berths in the train, I always liked and preferred the Side Lower Berth as it gave me a kind of freedom. Noticing that the seat before me was empty, I wondered who could be sitting with me through this journey and how they might be. Train journeys always gave me a new experience as I got to meet new people. Sometimes, I tend to ignore everyone if I don’t like them much. But today, I didn’t have a novel and I had lost my earphones recently. Thus, I had no other way to pass my time except

Women – Divine yet Demeaned!!!

Women have to play many roles. And each of these roles interact with men in different ways. When she is born, she plays the role of a daughter. A cute little babe, who brings light to the household and more often than not, luck to the father. Growing up she becomes the girl who is expected to excel in studies to become an independent woman while at home she is expected to learn making a home and help her mother. Once she has grown into a maiden, she has to deal with so many guys trying to vie for her. And if she falls in love with someone, then comes the dilemma and the tensions about the colony resident’s words, family’s feelings and the confusions of love and infatuation. Once she takes on the mantle of a wife and then a mother. Balancing between both these roles itself is a big management issue and over that if she is a working women, then the complications increase exponentially. (I think women don’t need to be trained in management, they can be given MBA degrees f