Skip to main content

America - My experiences!!



The day I was about to board the plane to California, I had mixed feelings. A part of me was completely filled with enthusiasm about my first 30-hour plane trip and the excitement of going to a new place… A new country!

Another part was thinking of all the things I would miss from India, including my family and friends. Leaving so many people whom you care about behind and moving to a completely new place is definitely one of the worst feelings I have had! It hurt! A lot.


As I was walking away from my parents and family in the terminal, I had tears in my eyes. Tears whose meaning I wasn’t sure of. Happiness that I had succeeded in my ambition to study abroad. Or fear that the next days of my life are going to be far away from my home. My journey from Hyderabad to San Jose, was full of introspection interspersed by the anxiety of missing my next flight and the pain associated with the imbalance of air pressure.



My thoughts were filled with imaginary scenarios about how my life would be in San Jose and how I would be enjoying life here. As with every kid going out from home for the first time, I too had thoughts of over-enjoying the freedom which is experienced only when you know that your parents won’t be around to control you anymore. As I was thinking of all these scenarios, I was pretty sure that my life would not be similar to any of the hundreds of scenarios I could cook up. And as expected, my life here in America isn’t anything like what I had envisioned since I first had the notion of going abroad for higher studies.

America has taught me quite a few things in the 2 months that I have been here. The first and foremost of them is not to believe each and every word I hear about anything even good or bad however great the subject might be. After hearing to so many people about America being a really awesome country, I had come here expecting something that would leave me speechless. And the civilization, education and people to be much more advanced than ours so much so that I wouldn’t be able to understand most of it.

My first touch with America was in Newark. And my first thought – brrrrrrrrrrrrr! It’s cold!!!


When my flight re-scheduling forced me to spend the night in Newark Airport, it was worse than spending the night in Chennai Airport on the way to Port Blair. American airports might be designed for efficiency. But they sure aren’t comfortable. And so, my first impression of America itself was very bad. On reaching San Jose, I was picked up by someone from one of the student organizations available in the University. And that’s when I actually saw how efficiently things were supposed to work in this country. The people here are so obsessed with regulations that I don’t think anyone actually cares who lives in the house next door.


But the thing is, two months in San Jose, California, and I still don’t have any feeling that I am living in a culture very different from my own in a country miles away from home. When I had moved to Bangalore as part of my commitment to IBM, I had the same feeling that I have now. No more, no less. It makes me think, is being in US really such a great thing??

Indians here, if they know each other, are very social and helpful. Much more than how they might behave in our own country. Probably, it’s the effect of homesickness. Though they follow the law like all Americans, there is always an Indian tinge to it that would simply remind you of your crowd back home. The shocking thing is even though living in a different country, by a different set of rules, people here maintain their integrity so much as to identify themselves by city and area rather than by state or as an Indian.

Yet, there are many I have met for whom India is nothing in comparison with USA. They feel that they are much better off in USA rather than in India. They have a very low respect for India or Indians. And yet they are Indians themselves. It’s rightly mentioned everywhere by everyone not to forget your roots at any cost. And so everyone thinking like this, America is not the greatest country in the world:


Coming back to my experiences, I hate that there isn’t much vegetarian food to be had outside. Every time I go out, I find Americans and diet focused people checking the number of calories, my friends checking the rates but myself checking out the ingredients of every item we are about to buy. And yet, it’s all thanks to my vegetarian habits that I am able control myself from buying every damned food item I see.

The people here say “hi”, “wassup” or at least smile while crossing each other yet no one talks to their neighbors. Talking is a different matter, most of us don’t even know who lives next door. Two groups of Indians living right next door might not know each other even though having common friends. Something I have trouble wrapping my brain around.

The classes aren’t as complex or hard to understand as is depicted to us. 3 hours a week isn’t enough for any lecturer to make you understand any concept let alone complete subjects. But it is harder than M.Tech studies. Not because of the portion or the subject but mainly because the focus is on actually working on the concept and with plagiarism banned it’s harder for JNTU students not to simply copy the assignment from somebody else and be done with it. The focus on concept rather than having things by-heart is commendable and the reason why I was keen on doing M.S.

Having a huge Indian Community with lots of Andhra people missing home is not a big deal here. But having roommates from different parts of the state or country, missing home food is a really big problem as everyone has their own way of cooking. And none of them are exactly compatible with your taste buds.


America hasn’t impressed me much. But it has already given me many gifts. I have come to know of people who only acted love or care. And I have also found many unexpected people who cared for me much more than they let on. And some special ones who understood me much better than older friends. Gifts that I am gonna keep for a long long time.


I do miss India, but I am not done with the United States yet. America has still gotta see my eccentricity. And recognize that someone different has stepped onto its soil. And so shall it be!!

Comments

Miku said…
You wouldn't be saying the same about US after an year or two !!!
Well, Miku... M not really sure what you mean by that but I shall surely put a reminder to myself to do a Part 2 for this after an year or two...
Thanks for the thought!!
:)
Solo said…
I just met you a few hours ago in downtown. This blog post is very interesting. What you need to realize is that this country, or at least this region has changed a lot. It used to be a place with many caring people. Everything has changed ever since money started pouring in. People here are much more aggressive now than in years past. You just don't have a sense of community with many positive people like in the past. Many people have moved away for that reason. Perhaps you should consider exploring other areas to truly see what this country has to offer.

Popular posts from this blog

Ravings of a Frustrated Student...

"Mummy, mummy, may I go for Cricket???" These were the words uttered by Ravi, the only son in an Indian Middle Class Family, a tenth class student. His Mom replied, "What? Again Cricket!!! You were playing cricket the whole of morning. Even yesterday, you played the whole day. Isn't that enough???" As if all the elements were against him today, his Dad enters the room at the same time. He looks at Ravi and says, "Look, son! Your 10th class is a most important milestone in your life. If you clear your 10th with flying colors, your life is as good as settled. So just work hard for these exams and after the exams you can enjoy as much as you want!!" On hearing his father explaining to him in such comforting and soothing words, Ravi feels the importance of his studies and studies hard for his 10th... To his credit, he clears his 10th with such a high score that he can be counted among the best students in his school. I am sure, most of us have gone

I Found Her!!!

Late… Again late… Man, this had become a habit with me… If my dad knew that I was reaching the Station exactly about 5 mins before scheduled departure, he would give me a piece of his mind for sure. I checked the platform number and ran into the station huffing like a bull. Finding S8, I jumped onto the stairs and pushed through the people, waving away at their families, searching for my seat. A small wave of relief swept through me when I sat down in the window seat allocated to me. Of all the berths in the train, I always liked and preferred the Side Lower Berth as it gave me a kind of freedom. Noticing that the seat before me was empty, I wondered who could be sitting with me through this journey and how they might be. Train journeys always gave me a new experience as I got to meet new people. Sometimes, I tend to ignore everyone if I don’t like them much. But today, I didn’t have a novel and I had lost my earphones recently. Thus, I had no other way to pass my time except

Women – Divine yet Demeaned!!!

Women have to play many roles. And each of these roles interact with men in different ways. When she is born, she plays the role of a daughter. A cute little babe, who brings light to the household and more often than not, luck to the father. Growing up she becomes the girl who is expected to excel in studies to become an independent woman while at home she is expected to learn making a home and help her mother. Once she has grown into a maiden, she has to deal with so many guys trying to vie for her. And if she falls in love with someone, then comes the dilemma and the tensions about the colony resident’s words, family’s feelings and the confusions of love and infatuation. Once she takes on the mantle of a wife and then a mother. Balancing between both these roles itself is a big management issue and over that if she is a working women, then the complications increase exponentially. (I think women don’t need to be trained in management, they can be given MBA degrees f